Intriguing East African Notes Certified by PMG Featured in Heritage Sale
Posted on 10/17/2022
Many impressive East African banknotes that are certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) are available in an upcoming Heritage Auctions sale. Bidding for these and over 400 other PMG-graded rarities from around the world is already underway, with the World Paper Money Signature Auction #4039 set to be held on October 20, 2022.
The auction’s top lot is an East Africa, Currency Board 1920 50 Florins = 5 Pounds – Mombasa graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated (lot 25140) that has an estimate of $40,000 and up. This denomination is extremely rare in its issued form, with only five examples in the PMG Population Report. Adding to the appeal of this particular note is its low serial number: 00008.
Also notable is an Isles of France & of Bourbon 1790 5 Livres graded PMG 61 Uncirculated (lot 25300) with an estimate of $8,000 and up. This rare note stands out as one of only 11 recorded in the PMG Population Report of all dates and denominations from the former French colony located in the Indian Ocean near Madagascar.
Other PMG-certified highlights found in this auction include:
- an East Africa, Currency Board 1920 20 Florins = 2 Pounds - Mombasa graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated (lot 25139) with an estimate of $35,000 and up
- an East Africa, Currency Board 1920 10 Florins = 1 Pound - Mombasa graded PMG 63 (lot 25138) with an estimate of $30,000 and up
- a Trinidad & Tobago 1921 100 Dollars graded PMG 25 Very Fine (lot 25524) with an estimate of $30,000 and up
- a Panama 1941 20 Balboas Specimen graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 25461) with an estimate of $25,000 and up
- an East Africa, Currency Board 1921 1000/- Shillings = 50 Pounds - Mombasa graded PMG 53 About Uncirculated (lot 25143) with an estimate of $25,000 and up
- a Panama 1941 10 Balboas Specimen graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 25460) with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a France, Banque de France ND (1943) 500 Francs Proof graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 25164) with an estimate of $10,000 and up
All estimates are provided by the auction house in US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!