PMG-certified Rarity from Straits Settlements Realizes $137,000 in September Auction
Posted on 9/22/2021
A Specimen Proof banknote from the Straits Settlements that realized SGD185,600 (about $137,000 USD) was the top note in a sale by Collectibles Auction Asia in Singapore. The note was one of more than 500 certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) in Auction 18, which took place September 18, 2021.
|Straits Settlements 1925 1,000 Dollars Specimen Proof graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine NET
Click images to enlarge.
The Straits Settlements 1925 1,000 Dollars Specimen Proof graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine NET (lot 479) is believed to be unique, according to the auction house. The front of the note displays a portrait of King George V over a picture of a prowling tiger. It displays the date of September 24, 1925 and the serial number 00000.
The Straits Settlements were a group of small British territories in Asia that had Singapore as their capital. They used the Straits Dollar as their currency from 1898 until 1939.
Other PMG-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a group of 10 Singapore, Board of Commissioners of Currency ND (1967) 1,000 Dollar notes graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated EPQ to PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 738) with consecutive serial numbers that realized SGD69,600 (about $51,500 USD)
- a Singapore, Board of Commissioners of Currency ND (1967) 5 Dollars graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated (lot 720) with a Super Solid Serial Number of A/1 111111 that realized SGD53,360 (about $39,000 USD)
- an uncut remainder pair of Malaysia, Bank Negara ND (1976-81) 1,000 Ringgit notes graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated EPQ (lot 661) that realized SGD44,080 (about $33,000 USD)
- a pair of Malaya and British Borneo/British Administration 1953 5 Dollar notes graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated (lot 562) with consecutive serial numbers that realized SGD11,020 (about $8,100 USD)
- a Malaya/British Administration 1942 (ND 1945) 100 Dollars graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 497) that realized SGD10,500 (about $7,800 USD)
All prices realized include the buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!