PMG-certified East Africa Specimen Tops Recent Heritage Auctions Sale
Posted on 5/11/2021
A variety of world banknotes certified the Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) realized the top 10 prices in the Heritage World Paper Money Fair Signature Auction, which took place April 30, 2021.
|East Africa, Currency Board 1920 500 Florins = £50 Specimen graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated Realized: $78,000
Click images to enlarge.
The top lot was an East Africa, Currency Board 1920 500 Florins = £50 Specimen graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated (lot 28231), which realized $78,000. This particular denomination is extremely rare and was issued soon after the East African Currency Board came into existence as Great Britain took over mainland Tanzania from Germany after World War I.
Other PMG-certified notes in the sale included:
- an East Africa, Currency Board 1920 100 Florins=£10 Specimen graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 28230) that realized $45,600
- a Spain, Banco de España 1875 100 Pesetas Specimen graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated and pedigreed to the Solovey “Russian” Collection (lot 28543) that realized $28,800
- a Spain, Banco de España 1875 50 Pesetas Specimen Proof graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (lot 28542) that realized $26,400
- an Australia ND (1918) £50 graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 28006) that realized $20,400
- a European Union / Germany 2002 50 Euro Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 28292) that realized $19,800
- an East Africa, Currency Board 1921 10,000 Shillings=£500 Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 28241) that realized $19,200
- a Malaya & British Borneo 1953 50 Dollars Color Trial Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 28391) that realized $19,200
Prices realized include buyer's premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!