PMG-certified World Notes Highlight January Heritage Sale
Posted on 12/30/2020
World banknotes graded by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) are being offered in Heritage Auctions FUN World Currency sale, which has been rescheduled to January 21-22, 2021. Online bidding is now open.
A rare Russian-American Company ND (1820s-60s) 25 Rubles graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated is one of the most anticipated notes in the sale, with an estimate of $80,000 and up.
The Russian-American Company began in 1799 in order to capitalize on trade in Russian America. The most commonly traded item for the company at the time was fur, as Alaska was still part of Russia. Russian-American notes were often printed on parchment made from animal skin, such as walrus. It is one of an estimated 150-200 total notes produced by the Russian-American Company that is still in existence today. Many of the other surviving notes are currently being housed in museums around the world.
|Russian-American Company ND (1820s-60s) 25 Rubles
graded PMG 55 About UncirculatedClick images to enlarge
Another historically interesting note in the sale is an East Africa, Currency Board 1921 10,000/- Shillings = £500 graded PMG 30 Very Fine, with a current estimate of $40,000 and up.
In 1921, 500 Pound notes were often used to settle accounts between banks or to make significant purchases. As a result, very few notes of this size made their way into circulation. Then, in the 1960s, the East African Currency Board began redeeming these notes. While all notes were reported as redeemed by 1965, some (like this note) remained in private collections.
|East Africa, Currency Board 1921 10,000/-Shillings = £500
graded PMG 30 Very FineClick images to enlarge
Other PMG-certified highlights include:
- a pair of Dominion of Canada 1924 $50,000 Front & Back Bank Specials both graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated, with an estimate of $30,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1903 500 Pesetas graded PMG 30 Very Fine, with an estimate of $24,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1884 1000 Pesetas graded PMG 40 Extremely Fine, with an estimate of $22,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1878 50 Pesetas graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine, with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1876 100 Pesetas graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine, with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a Province of Prince Edward Island 1872 $10 graded PMG 25 Very Fine, with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1884 500 Pesetas graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine, with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a East Africa Currency Board 1920 20 Florins = £2 graded PMG 45 Choice Extremely Fine, with an estimate of $20,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1876 1000 Pesetas graded PMG 15 Choice Fine, with an estimate of $18,000 and up
- a Spain, Banco de España 1876 500 Pesetas graded PMG 20 Very Fine, with an estimate of $15,000 and up
All estimates are provided by the auction house in US dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!