NGC and PMG Offer Special Labels for Nelson Mandela Coins and Notes
Posted on 5/11/2018
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) and Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) have created special labels to celebrate the 2018 South African coins and banknotes that honor former South African President Nelson Mandela on his 100th birthday.
These labels, which feature a likeness of Mandela with a South African flag in the background, are available for free and by default for the 2018 South Africa 5 Rand and the five denominations of 2018 South African banknotes being issued to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Mandela's birth. The coin and notes are expected to be released in July.
From 1964 to 1990, Mandela was held as a political prisoner in Apartheid-era South Africa. After his release, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 and took office as president a year later after South Africa held its first fully representative election.
Mandela, also affectionately known as Madiba, served as president until 1999; he died in 2013. He was respected at home and abroad; among his honors was the US Congressional Gold Medal, which he received in 1998.
Please note: Requests for the Mandela label must be done on submission forms separate from coins or banknotes that do not include the label. Coins and paper money must be submitted on their respective submission form. They can, however, be sent to NGC and PMG in the same package.
NGC Submission Instructions (For Coins):
- Submit a qualifying coin under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The Nelson Mandela Centenary Label #1029 (shown below) will be included by default for no additional fee for the 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary 5 Rand.
- If you want this label for another Nelson Mandela coin (for an additional fee of $5 per coin), write "Mandela Centenary Label #1029" on your submission form:
- If Early Releases or First Releases is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases. The default label for the 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary 5 Rand is the Mandela Centenary Label #1029. If instead you want the Early Releases or First Releases label for this coin (shown below), write Blue Early Releases Label #378 or Blue First Releases Label #379 on your submission form:
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- If you do not want an Early Releases or First Releases designation, and do not want the Mandela Centenary Label #1029 for the 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary 5 Rand, you may request the Standard Brown label (shown below), for no additional charge, by writing NGC Standard Brown Label #377 on the submission form. If no label is requested, you will receive Mandela Centenary Label #1029.
- If you would like Mint packaging returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3 of the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
- Please note that NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only.
PMG Submission Instructions (For Notes):
- Submit the 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary notes under any applicable PMG grading tier. These notes must be submitted on a separate PMG Submission Form to receive the special label.
- The default label for all 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary notes is Mandela Centenary Label #25, which is included for no additional charge.
- If you want this label for another Nelson Mandela note (for an additional $5 fee per note), please write "Mandela Centenary Label #25" in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form to request this special label.
- If you would prefer the PMG Standard Green label for your 2018 South Africa Nelson Mandela Centenary note(s), write “PMG Standard Green Label” on the PMG Submission Form.
- Notes received by PMG within 30 days of release are eligible for the “Early Releases” or “First Releases” special designations. There is an additional fee of $10 per note for the special designation verification and attribution. If you would like the “Early Releases” designation, write “Early Releases” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. If you would like the “First Releases” designation, write “First Releases” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. Submit Early Releases and First Releases notes on separate submission forms. See cutoff dates >
- If you would like the original packaging returned, select or write “Return Packaging” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. If Return Packaging is selected, there will be an additional fee of $5 per invoice, as well as an additional shipping cost, depending on the weight of the packaging.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins and notes directly to NGC and PMG. Not an NGC member or a PMG member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today!
Bulk submitters of coins can contact Miles Standish at mailto:Miles@NGCcoin.com or 949-922-0515 or Scott Heller at SHeller@NGCcoin.com or 1-800-NGC-COIN. Bulk submitters of notes can contact Mauricio Escobar MEscobar@PMGnotes.com or 1-800-PMG-5570.