PMG Offers Label for South Korean Olympic Banknote
Posted on 11/17/2017
Check out our article detailing the most expensive sports cards ever sold.
Paper Money Guaranty (PMG) is offering a special label for the 2,000-won note being issued by the Bank of Korea to commemorate the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea.
These are the first commemorative banknotes to be issued by the Bank of Korea.
Note: This special “PyeongChang” label will be available until December 31, 2018. Notes will then receive the PMG Standard Green Label.
This is the first time that South Korea has hosted the Winter Olympics; Seoul hosted the Summer Olympic Games in 1988.
To be held Feb. 9-25, the XXIII Olympic Winter Games will feature more than 100 events in 15 sports, including speed skating. South Korea has won 51 of its 53 Winter Olympic medals in speed skating events, so it's no surprise the 2,000-won Olympic note features a prominent depiction of speed skaters, accompanied by smaller depictions of other athletes. (2,000 won is the equivalent of slightly less than US $2.)
The special PyeongChang PMG label includes a group of seven blue symbols representing the sports featured on the note.
To learn more about the banknote, click here.
The label is available at no additional charge, and is the default label for this note. Please follow the submission instructions below.
- Submit the Korea 2018 Winter Olympic notes under any applicable PMG grading tier. These notes must be submitted on a separate PMG Submission Form to receive the special label.
- Write "PyeongChang" in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form for this special label. This is the default label for these Bank of Korea 2,000-won Olympic notes.
- If you would prefer the PMG Standard Green label, write “PMG Standard Green Label” on the PMG Submission Form.
- Notes received by PMG within 30 days of release are eligible for the “Early Releases” or “First Releases” special designations. There is an additional fee of $10 (USD) per note for the special designation verification and attribution. If you would like the “Early Releases” designation, write “Early Releases” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. If you would like the “First Releases” designation, write “First Releases” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. Submit Early Releases and First Releases notes on separate submission forms. Submissions must be received by PMG on or before Wednesday, January 10, 2018, to be eligible for the Early Releases and First Releases designations.
- If you would like the original packaging returned, select or write “Return Packaging” in bold letters on the PMG Submission Form. If Return Packaging is selected, there will be an additional fee of $5 (USD) per invoice, as well as an additional shipping cost, depending on the weight of the packaging.
- If you have the uncut sheet of two notes, select Custom Holder (Small) for an additional fee of $25 (USD).
Questions? In Hong Kong, China, contact PMG Customer Service at Asia@PMGnotes.com or +852 2115-3639. Outside of Hong Kong, contact PMG Customer Service at service@PMGnotes.com or 1-877-PMG-5570 (1-877-764-5570).
Paid PMG Collector members can submit their notes directly to PMG. Not a member? Paid memberships start at just $39 (USD)/year. Join today >
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!