PMG-certified Printer’s Model and Specimen Notes from Thailand Highlight December Heritage Sale
Posted on 11/17/2023
Two Thailand banknotes linked to King Rama VII are among a remarkable assortment of more than 400 notes certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) in an upcoming sale. Online bidding is already open for Heritage Auctions’ World Paper Money Signature Auction – Hong Kong, which will be held December 7, 2023.
Among the highlights of the auction is a Thailand, Government of Siam 1926 10 Baht Front Printer’s Model graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 24399), with an estimate of at least $30,000. The note includes an interesting portrait of Prajadhipok, also known as King Rama VII, which was unused on issued notes. Rama VII was king from 1925 until 1935, when he was forced to abdicate amid a power struggle with lawmakers.
The auction also includes a Thailand, Government of Siam 1933-35 20 Baht Specimen graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated (lot 24400) with an estimate of at least $30,000. This elegantly presented specimen features the king’s genuine signature in black fountain pen ink. While the printed text on the matte contains a minor historical inaccuracy (the royal couple had no children), it was signed during the King’s European trip near the end of his reign. Rama VII studied as a youth in England and later spent his exile there. Notably, this note is only the second example of this particular 20 Baht Specimen listed in the PMG Population Report.
Other PMG-certified banknotes in this auction include:
- a China / Empire 1264-1341 2 Kuan - Yuan Dynasty graded PMG 12 Fine NET (lot 24021) with an estimate of at least $25,000
- a set of two China 1927 10 Yuan notes: a Front Color Trial Specimen graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ and a Back Color Trial Specimen graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24030) with an estimate of at least $20,000
- a China 2000 Commemorative 100 Yuan Uncut Pair graded PMG 70★ Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24175) with an estimate of at least $20,000
- New Zealand, Reserve Bank 1934 10/- Shillings with Serial Number 1 graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (lot 24383) with an estimate of at least $20,000
- a China / People’s Republic 1953 5 Yuan graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24159) with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a Hong Kong, Mercantile Bank of India, Ltd., 1935 50 Dollars graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine NET (lot 24310) with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a Thailand, Government of Thailand ND (1953) Uncut Sheet of 18 20 Baht graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24402) with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a Malaysia, Bank Negara ND (1976-81) 1,000 Ringgit Specimen graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24372) with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a Hong Kong, Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China 1931-34 50 Dollars graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 24259) with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a Mongolia, State Treasury Note 1924 5 Dollars graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24379) with an estimate of at least $12,000
Estimates are provided by the auction house. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!