Coveted African Note Removed from Circulation After WWI in Heritage Sale
Posted on 10/17/2023
More than 700 notes certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) are being offered in an upcoming Heritage Auctions sale. Bidding is opening in mid-October for the World Paper Money Signature Auction #4045, which will be held November 9-10, 2023.
A top lot in the auction is a German East Africa 1912 500 Rupien graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24295). After World War I, Germany lost control of East Africa, Southwest Africa, and Cameroon. Therefore, many of these 500 Rupien issues were redeemed or returned to Germany around 1919 and 1920. With so few known to be remaining, the note has become one of the most coveted banknotes from Africa. This is the finest example graded in the PMG Population Report and is also the only Uncirculated example that earned EPQ status. It has an estimate of at least $40,000.
Other PMG-certified notes in this auction include:
- a Russia, State Assignat 1803-18 50 Rubles graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 24562), with an estimate of at least $30,000
- an India - British, Bank of Hindostan ND(1823-27) 100 Sicca Rupees graded PMG 10 Very Good (lot 24328), with an estimate of at least $25,000
- a Danish West Indies, National Bank 1905 20 Francs graded PMG 25 Very Fine (lot 24214), with an estimate of at least $20,000
- a Bahamas, Government of the Bahamas 1965 100 Dollars graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24023), with an estimate of at least $15,000
- an Ethiopia, Bank of Abyssinia 1915-26 100 Thalers graded PMG 20 Very Fine (lot 24256), with an estimate of at least $15,000
- an Italian Somaliland 1950 100 Somali graded PMG 67 Superb Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24391), with an estimate of at least $15,000
- a New Zealand ND (1928-29) 100 Pound Specimen graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated (lot 24509), with an estimate of at least $10,000
- a Danish West Indies, State Treasury 1849 100 Dalere graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24211), with an estimate of at least $10,000
- a Jamaica, Bank of Jamaica 1960 5 Pounds graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 24399), with an estimate of at least $10,000
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!