Incredibly Rare China-Germany Note Certified by PMG in Upcoming Auction
Posted on 9/14/2023
An impressive lineup of over 400 banknote rarities certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) has been assembled for the Stack’s Bowers Maastricht Auction of World Paper Money. Bidding is underway for the auction, which is scheduled for September 29, 2023.
Among the standout notes is a China, Deutsch-Asiatische Bank 1907 5 Dollars Specimen graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 50125) with an estimate of $40,000 to $50,000. This incredibly rare collectible comes from the time when Germany had three areas of influence in China: the 1890s until World War II. This note bears the name of Hankow (which today is part of Wuhan), where Deutsch-Asiatische Bank operated one of several of its branches in Asia. This is the only graded example of its catalog number in the PMG Population Report.
Other PMG-certified banknotes in this auction include:
- a Burma / British Administration ND (1937) 1,000 Rupees graded PMG 25 Very Fine NET (lot 50055), with an estimate of $35,000 to $40,000
- a Canada, Bank of Canada 1937 $1,000 graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 50067), with an estimate of $30,000 to $40,000
- an India - British ND (1819-31) 5 Sicca Rupees Front Proof graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated EPQ (lot 50247), with an estimate of $20,000 to $30,000
- a Norway, Norges Bank 1942 1,000 Kroner Specimen graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (lot 50375), with an estimate of $15,000 to $25,000
- a Suriname, Surinaamsche Bank 1911 100 Gulden Specimen graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 50443), with an estimate of $15,000 to $25,000
- a Suriname, Surinaamsche Bank 1914 25 Gulden Specimen graded PMG 67 Superb Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 50446), with an estimate of $15,000 to $25,000
- a Belgian Congo, Banque Centrale 1955 500 Francs graded PMG 53 About Uncirculated (lot 50027), with an estimate of $15,000 to $20,000
- a Suriname, Surinaamsche Bank ND (ca. 1913) 50 Gulden Specimen graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (lot 50447), with an estimate of $13,000 to $20,000
- a Curacao / Dutch Administration 1960 100 Gulden graded PMG 30 Very Fine EPQ (lot 50131), with an estimate of $14,000 to $18,000
- an India / British Administration 1867-1900 1,000 Rupees graded PMG 25 Very Fine NET (lot 50231), with an estimate of $12,000 to $18,000
Estimates are provided by the auction house. The $ symbol indicates US Dollar.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!