Iconic Iraqi Banknote Certified by PMG Featured in World Banknote Auctions Sale
Posted on 6/19/2023
Hundreds of rare banknotes from around the globe that are certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) are part of a sale presented by World Banknote Auctions, including several expected to realize five figures. Bidding is already underway for the World Currency Sale 45 - Session 2 (Rest of the World), which will be held June 29, 2023.
The top PMG-certified note in the sale is a well-known Iraqi banknote commonly referred to as the "Baby" 1/4 Dinar. The Iraq, Government of Iraq 1931 (ND 1941) 1/4 Dinar graded PMG 53 About Uncirculated (lot 45561) has an estimate of $25,000 to $35,000. The front features the portrait of a young King Faisal II from his childhood. Faisal began his reign in 1939, when he was just three years old, after his father died in a car crash. In 1958, he was assassinated in a coup that ended the monarchy. The PMG Population Report lists only 47 examples of this rare note, with only three graded higher than this one.
|Iraq, Government of Iraq 1931 (ND 1941) 1/4 Dinar graded PMG 53 About Uncirculated Click images to enlarge.|
World Banknote Auctions is also offering over 200 PMG-certified notes from Scandinavia in World Currency Sale 45 - Session 1, which is being held June 28. Other PMG-certified notes in this auction include:
- a Bahamas, Government of the Bahamas 1965 50 Dollars graded PMG 30 Very Fine EPQ (lot 45315), with an estimate of $20,000 to $30,000
- a Burma / British Administration ND (1939) 1,000 Rupees graded PMG 25 Very Fine NET (lot 45369), with an estimate of $15,000 to $25,000
- a Bahamas, Government of the Bahamas 1965 100 Dollars graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated EPQ (lot 45316), with an estimate of $10,000 to $15,000
- a Danish West Indies, National Bank 1905 10 Francs graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine (lot 45426), with an estimate of $6,000 to $8,000
- a Scotland, Union Bank of Scotland Limited 1947 100 Pounds graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (lot 45760), with an estimate of $6,000 to $8,000
- a Bahamas, Government of the Bahamas 1919 One Pound graded PMG 40 Extremely Fine EPQ (lot 45283), with an estimate of $5,000 to $7,500
- a China, People's Republic 1949 50 Yuan graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 45393), with an estimate of $5,000 to $7,500
- an Egypt, National Bank 1952 100 Pounds graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 45452), with an estimate of $5,000 to $7,500
- a Libya, Treasury 1951 (ND 1955) Half Pound graded PMG 20 Very Fine (lot 45633), with an estimate of $5,000 to $7,500
- a Syria, Banque de Syrie et du Liban 1949 50 Livres graded PMG 20 Very Fine (lot 45798), with an estimate of $5,000 to $7,500
Estimates are provided by the auction house. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!