Rare PMG-graded National Bank Note from Hawaii Realizes $132,000
Posted on 5/17/2023
A rare National Bank Note from Hawaii certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) realized $132,000 in a recent Heritage Auctions sale. It was among more than 1,300 PMG-graded notes in the CSNS Currency Signature Auction, which was held May 3-5, 2023.
The Wailuku, Territory of Hawaii 1882 $5 National Bank Note graded PMG 15 Choice Fine (lot 20282) raced past and more than doubled its estimate of at least $60,000. According to the auction house, only four notes are known from this particular charter, for a bank that operated on the island of Maui in the early 1900s.
|Wailuku, Territory of Hawaii The First NB 1882 $5 National Bank Note graded PMG 15 Choice Fine. Realized: $132,000 Click images to enlarge.|
Other PMG-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a Cut Sheet of Four 1914 $100 Federal Reserve Notes (Boston), each graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (lot 21108), which realized $102,000
- a Starkville, Mississippi 1882 $5 National Bank Note with Serial Number 1 graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 20506), which realized $57,600
- a $100 Act of March 4th, 1814 Treasury Note graded PMG 45 Choice Extremely Fine and pedigreed to the Mike Coltrane Collection (lot 21021), which realized $48,000
- an 1862 $100 Legal Tender graded PMG 15 Choice Fine (lot 21043), which realized $48,000
- a Lafayette, Louisiana The First National Bank 1882 $5 Brown Back with Serial Number 1 graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine EPQ (lot 20375), which realized $43,200
- an 1891 $10 Silver Certificate graded PMG 67 Superb Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 21087), which realized $43,200
- a First National Gold Bank, San Francisco 1875 $20 graded PMG 20 Very Fine (lot 20238), which realized $40,800
- an 1864 Confederate States of America $500 graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 20100), which realized $40,800
- an 1861 T-3 $100 graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 21006), which realized $28,800
- a 1918 $1,000 Federal Reserve Note (San Francisco) graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 21115), which realized $28,800
Prices realized include buyer's premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!