Hong Kong Rarity Takes the Top Spot Among PMG-certified Highlights in Spink Auction
Posted on 1/17/2023
A rare vintage note from Hong Kong certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) was sold for over $50,000 in the Spink Winter Auction, held January 7-12, 2023. Hundreds of PMG-certified notes, primarily from China, were included in the sale.
Topping the auction was a Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation 1930 500 Dollars graded PMG 55 About Uncirculated EPQ (CSS86D, lot 3096) that realized 420,000 HKD (about $54,000). This note features an obverse depicting a woman seated at right, with two hand-signed signatures, and on the reverse is the HSBC building headquarters. This is only one of two examples with an EPQ designation, and the third highest grade known, according to the auction house.
Other PMG-certified notes in this auction included:
- a Taiwan Democratic State 1895 5 Yuan graded PMG 35 Choice Very Fine (CSS86A, lot 77) that realized 420,000 HKD (about $54,000)
- a China / People’s Republic 1973 10 Yuan Artist’s Rendition (CSS86A, lot 281) certified as genuine by PMG that realized 240,000 HKD (about $31,000)
- a Hong Kong 1981 10 Dollars - Replacement graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated (CSS86C, lot 2388) that realized 180,000 HKD (about $23,000)
- a Hong Kong 1930-34 50 Dollars Duress Note graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (CSS86D, lot 3084) that realized 156,000 HKD (about $20,000)
- a China / People’s Republic 1948 100 Yuan graded PMG 58 Choice About Uncirculated EPQ (CSS86A, lot 206) that realized 132,000 HKD (about $17,000)
- a Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation 1913-23 10 Dollars graded PMG 30 Very Fine (CSS86C, lot 2421) that realized 120,000 HKD (about $16,000)
- a Hong Kong 1913-23 10 Dollars Specimen graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (CSS86D, lot 3074) that realized 120,000 HKD (about $16,000)
- a Hong Kong, Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China 1931-34 50 Dollars graded PMG 25 Very Fine (CSS86D, lot 3036) that realized 120,000 HKD (about $16,000)
- a China / People’s Republic 1953 10 Yuan graded PMG 25 Very Fine (CSS86B, lot 1030) that realized 114,000 HKD (about $14,000)
- a Hong Kong, Mercantile Bank of India Ltd. 1935 50 Dollars graded PMG 25 Very Fine (CSS86D, lot 3013) that realized 102,000 HKD (about $13,000)
- a South Korea, Bank of Korea 1962 100 Hwan Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (CSS86C, lot 2135) that realized 96,000 HKD (about $12,000)
- a China / People’s Republic 1953 2 Yuan graded PMG 68 Superb Gem Uncirculated EPQ (CSS86A, lot 265) that realized 96,000 HKD (about $12,000)
Prices realized include a buyer’s premium. The $ symbol indicates US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!