PMG-certified Chinese Banknote Tops Heritage Sale
Posted on 7/19/2022
Vintage banknotes certified by Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®) dominated a Heritage Auctions sale on July 6, 2022. The HKINF World Paper Money Signature Auction - Hong Kong featured hundreds of PMG-certified Chinese rarities dating from the Imperial to the modern eras.
The star of the sale, a China / People’s Republic 1956 5 Yuan graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 23253) sold for $78,000. This note is an example of the currency during the early years of the newly established government. This colorful note features a vignette of a group of people, printed in deep burgundy ink with a yellow-green pattern background.
|China / People's Republic 1956 5 Yuan graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ. Realized: $78,000Click images to enlarge.|
Another top lot was a Hong Kong 1921-23 50 Dollars Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated (lot 23434) that realized $55,200. This rare Specimen, issued by the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, is one of only nine examples recorded in the PMG Population Report.
|Hong Kong 1921-23 50 Dollars Specimen graded PMG 63 Choice Uncirculated. Realized: $55,200Click images to enlarge.|
Other PMG-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a China / People's Republic 1949 100 Yuan graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 23182) that realized $51,600
- a China / People's Republic 1949 20 Yuan graded PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated EPQ (lot 23160) that realized $49,200
- a China / People's Republic 1949 50 Yuan graded PMG 65 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 23171) that realized $48,000
- a Tannu-Tuva / Republic 1935 10 Aksha graded PMG 20 Very Fine (lot 23579) that realized $33,600
- a Hong Kong ND (1903-12) 5 Dollars Specimen graded PMG 30 Very Fine (lot 23408) that realized $31,200
- a China / Yuan Dynasty 1264-1341 2 Kuan graded PMG 15 Choice Fine NET (lot 23031) that realized $31,200
- a China, Central Bank of China 1944 100 Yuan graded PMG 66 Gem Uncirculated EPQ (lot 23105) that realized $26,400
- a Commonwealth of Australia ND (1918) 50 Pounds graded PMG 30 Very Fine and pedigreed to the Dauer Collection (lot 23005) that realized $24,000
All prices realized include buyer’s premium. The $ symbol represents US Dollars.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free PMG eNewsletter today!