Question on New $100 Note

7 posts in this topic

493 posts

Ok, this may seem like a dumb question, but I know the new colorized $100 notes were originally series 2009, but then they had a bunch of production problems, so when they were released they were all series 2009A, which had a prefix letter L before the serial number. Yesterday I got a series 2009 note, with a J prefix letter. Is that a scarcer series, i.e. should I save this one and send another $100 bill with my wedding card?

493 posts

I just checked the PMG population report and they list nothing under any series 2009 $100 notes, it just went from series 2006A to series 2009A, am I missing something?

240 posts

The BEP has released some of the 2009 $100 notes, but 2009A is still the overwhelming majority.

I've also seen several 2009 $100 star notes on eBay recently.

240 posts

I read this at the US Paper Money Info website;

"Colorised $100 notes were first released into circulation on October 8, 2013, but all of those notes were Series 2009A; none of the re-inspected Series 2009 printings reached circulation until early 2016."

This is my only example, but I've seen more....mostly star notes.

scan0004_zps3vh7sq1o.jpg

493 posts

Thanks for that, looks like I can spend it!

16 posts

Went to the bank today to get money for the plumber (re piping entire house to pex-a) and ask the lady for $100s. She gave me 2009 Serie A. Was nice, and being a complete newbie with paper money, didn't knew what to check. I need to kick my own butt now...

Edited by JLarronde

133 posts

I went to bank and it was a very quiet time and a very nice teller pulled out stacks of 100's. She had no idea what a star note was and patiently went through thousands of dollars looking for star notes after I showed her on Ebay people try to sell recent star notes. She pulled out 5 star notes! I bought two that were crisp AU but don't know why. Is there really any value with new even 65 graded star notes? I doubt it.