Value of Graded World Notes

4 posts in this topic

If you were to compute a factor for valuing a PMG Graded World Note where CV in CU60 was $50 (no amount given for higher grades) what would you use for a Gem CU 66 EPQ? I believe this would be worth much more than the value given for CU 60.

I think $100 would be a conservative asking price.

Oh wow, difficult question and even more challenging to find a "correct" response. Of course you would want to check the PMG World Paper Money Price Guide. (which I assumed you have done) With no note reported/graded above CU60 it's really a matter of trying to find one that may have been auctioned (check Heritage, Stacks, etc.) and check if they had one graded Gem CU 66 and was it graded by a TPG. You can always try "trolling" eBay and dealer price lists to see if there is one for sale. Otherwise, you can try $100 and see what happens. Example is this Costa Rica 5 Colones remainder, PMG guide indicates nothing higher than a CU60 has been graded by them. Is this note higher than a 60? answer is send it and find out.

costarica_5_colones_124856_zps7zwbi14q.jpg

Wish I could have been more definitive, sorry.

Edited by Techwriter

I don't think you can give a response to a generic question like this. It will depend on the note, how many exist and the collector demand.

The Costa Rican note posted is a perfect example. There are hundreds of ungraded UNC examples in the marketplace. Why anyone would pay a premium for a graded example is beyond me.