• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Quest has been Completed

1 post in this topic

1929 $5 FRBN NY star note has been found.

The first journal entry I wrote on this topic was in November of 2011, promising that I would follow up once I found the last missing piece for my 1929 FRBN NY complete district set. It was in early December 2013 while browsing the 2014 FUN auction catalog, when I knew I had to have this note. Heritage Auctions had the following description, "A very scarce star with a print run of just 24,000 pieces. Track & Price reports only a literal handful of offerings during the past ten years..." With a description like that, I was not sure the next time I would be able to find this elusive star note, so I seized the moment. In addition, presently there are only two pieces in the PMG registry, this note is one and the other being 65 EPQ. Even if the gem example came to auction, it would be out of my budget.

The note has been accurately graded by PMG, VF 20, with no net grade. Even circulation and broad margins on the reverse, the note maintains much of its originality.

Please see my registry set. All of the regular issue notes are graded from CU 64 EPQ to Superb Gem 67 EPQ. The only improvement I could see being made is to upgrade the $100 denomination to a full gem example, making every regular issue note either a 66 or 67 EPQ. I have seen NY stars of the 10, 20 and 50 denomination in better grades than what I currently have. Most recently a $50 New York star graded 64 EPQ, which had a realization of over $11,000.

However, I am now turning my focus to collecting single digit serial numbers for the 1929 FRBNs of New York. Presently I have serial number 4, for the $5 denomination, graded PMG 58 EPQ.

I hope you enjoy looking at my registry set, I have included pictures of all 10 notes.

Cheers and happy collecting.

15505.jpg

See more journals by MCrup1