Looking at grading Standards posted by Sportyperson

3 posts in this topic

Recently I started to look at what PCGS claimed are part of their standards to try to grade some of my circulated bills.

Recently I started to look at what PCGS claimed are part of their standards to try to grade some of my circulated bills. So I tried to put them in an excel file to make more sense of them. I also added some of my own to help clarify some other gradings. Instead of just a PPQ or EPQ, I added a whole line of crispness that folled their grading system. I added the following; Limp, Heavy wear, Solid, About crisp, Strong crisp, Choice crisp, Very choice crisp, Gem crisp, Superb gem crisp, Perfect gem crisp. Do these sound good, or too many, or what? I tried to upload a copy, but it is too big.

See more journals by Sportyperson

Interesting - more detail on the EPQ. so you "added the following; Limp, Heavy wear, Solid, About crisp, Strong crisp, Choice crisp, Very choice crisp, Gem crisp, Superb gem crisp, Perfect gem crisp.

Do these sound good, or too many, or what?"

=

my comments: I think its too many, it’s subjective. There has to be some objective science behind the grading the EPQ. A crisp note may only be crisp because it was processed (physically, chemically, or materially processed, pressed, etc.) I think you would need more that just personal touch/bend to grade different levels of EPQ. the paper is made of a special blend of cotton and linen fibers, not sure how you could test the paper, and if that much detail on EPQ would matter to a collector. EPQ is important, but there are probally other factors (color, condition, serial number, grade, etc.) that would make a collector pay more for a note.

When you go through PCGS's standards, Fine 12 states "limp classifies lower". G6 states "Heavy wear". VF30 states "Strong Crispness". This is where I got the different categories. I agree, They seem too many, but I didn't just think these up, but some of them do seem logical. Thanx for your thoughts.