• entries
    32
  • comments
    28
  • views
    2,188

A P-11a!

0
Revenant

95 views

Somewhat to my surprise a PMG-graded P-11a popped up for sale in an eBay auction the other day and I decided to go for it.

I say "somewhat" to my surprise because the P-11a, like many / most of these, isn't especially rare but you don't see every variety pop up having already been graded as a high uncirc grade every day. I think this is actually the first PMG-graded 11a I've seen and it's only recently been graded based on the holder.

The auction ended at 10:15 PM Sunday night so I stayed up just a little later than normal (kids get me up early) and watched it end. I put my bid in with just a couple of minutes to go and won it - went to bed and paid when I got up this morning.

s-l500.jpg.4b0463db655f0c9a9e8972f6667a4dc0.jpg

I wouldn't have expected to be here a couple of months ago but I think I now have every variety of every pick number in the 2nd series of the 1st dollar except for the P-12a. That'll make the P-12a a priority for me if I ever see one pop up.

Now that I have both P-5s and both P-11s and I'm starting to have more varieties in my 1st dollar series I'm thinking about making a new signature set that will be just the 1st dollars with varieties - something to showcase all of the 1st dollars and just the in one set. I love my full 1980-Date Zimbabwe signature set but I do worry some days about it seeming overwhelming now that it's up to about 90 notes and over 110 slots.

0


6 Comments


Recommended Comments

Why isn't there a Zimbabwe Complete 1980 - Date set in the registry, or say a P1-12 including varieties? 110 is a lot but there are many other sets with higher counts, Zimbabwe certainly has enough PMG graded notes to support larger more comprehensive sets. 

Nice get, by the way. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Why isn't there a Zimbabwe Complete 1980 - Date set in the registry, or say a P1-12 including varieties? 110 is a lot but there are many other sets with higher counts, Zimbabwe certainly has enough PMG graded notes to support larger more comprehensive sets. 

For a P-1 to P-12 including varieties, If I remember right there used to be one. When they first added Zimbabwe sets to the registry set the category for first dollars had a slot for each variety. They later changed that and collapsed it down to 1-per-pick. I suspect the Why comes back to what NGC/PMG have said about wanting the "average" collector to be able to reach 100% completion in any set / category. Getting a 100% 1-per-pick set together is pretty straight forward. Trying to get a full variety set together is far more difficult and far more expensive. It's possible, for sure, I think. But it would be much harder and I think only the most hardcore of Zimbabwe collectors would even attempt it.

As far as not having a 1980 to date set? I think that just comes down to how people collect (or don't collect) these notes. Most people will just get the Trillions. A smaller group will collect the full 3rd dollar or the full 2nd and 3rd dollar hyperinflation set. I think most of the people who collect those hyperinflation notes - the vast majority probably - either don't know about or don't care about the first dollar notes. Those people would not be interested in a 1980-Date set. I think the people like me that would make a 1980-Date set or a 1st Dollar set including varieties are a tiny tiny minority and PMG would rather just have the smaller series sets rather than make this monster category for 1 or 2 people to knock heads in.

Just me guessing.

15 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice get, by the way. 

Thank you! I'm very pleased with how that branch / arm of my set has come together and I think the 1st dollars are the star of that show now - even if I can't get above #3 in the category. lol 

Share this comment


Link to comment

I'm putting together an Aruba set and was frustrated that they only have one note per Pick number.  Yes, it makes it easier to make a complete set this way but I'd rather have the challenge of getting all years etc.  Is there a way to have PMG create a sub-set with all the Pick Varieties to include Specimens? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Craig R. Petersen, USCG (ret) said:

I'm putting together an Aruba set and was frustrated that they only have one note per Pick number.  Yes, it makes it easier to make a complete set this way but I'd rather have the challenge of getting all years etc.  Is there a way to have PMG create a sub-set with all the Pick Varieties to include Specimens? 

If you want it, and want it for you / to display your set the way you want and not to compete with others, I'd just make a signature set like I have with my Zimbabwe set. It's a little more work because you have to build out the set / slots on your own, but it lets you make and define the set the way you want.

sig.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment

You can request a new set or slot on the PMG Chat Boards. Go to the PMG Registry forum and reply to PMG Registry - Request a new slot or set here!, or email them at [email protected] They'll review your request and make a decision. I don't think I've seen a set that has separate slots for specimens. Be interesting to see if it happens.

Agree, I'd be nice to have a set or sets for each country that have all notes and variants. But man, you'd be talking 100's if not 1000's of notes for some countries/sets. To use the Zimbabwe registry as an example, it is actually set up quite nicely with sub-sets, which would be nice goals to complete on the way to a full set. If all the sub-sets included varieties a complete set would be a little redundant, it would still be nice to have complete sets with all varieties no matter how the individual registries are structured. 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Agree, I'd be nice to have a set or sets for each country that have all notes and variants. But man, you'd be talking 100's if not 1000's of notes for some countries/sets. To use the Zimbabwe registry as an example, it is actually set up quite nicely with sub-sets, which would be nice goals to complete on the way to a full set. If all the sub-sets included varieties a complete set would be a little redundant, it would still be nice to have complete sets with all varieties no matter how the individual registries are structured. 

The funny thing with Zimbabwe is, while it's tempting (and the way I went, and the pick numbering is continuous) to treat the whole thing as a single continuum, the Zimbabwe sets span 4 currencies, each with its own currency code. So, thought of that way, I could see it being totally justified to refuse to do a set from 1980 to date, because, technically, legally, it's not all the same currency / monetary unit.

You'd have a similar situation in Germany with the different Marks (gold mark, Papiermark, Rentenmark, Reichsmark, Saar Mark, Deutsche Mark) , or Venezuela now with the 3 or 4 different bolivars they've had now (Bolivar, Bolivar fuerte / "Strong Bolivar", Bolivar Soberano / "Sovereign Bolivar"). 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now